Wednesday, July 18, 2007

R&R & My Return to Iraq

R&R
My R&R was great. I got to spend some quality time with my family. We went to SeaWorld, hit the Beach, rode our bikes, slept in, did some "honey-do" items, did some GeoCaching, ate some good food at some good restaurants and watched a few movies on the Big Screen. We even had a big Birthday BBQ with cake and homemade Ice Cream. We celebrated all of our B-Days because I'll be gone for all of them during the remainder of my deployment.

It was a very fast and an extremely enjoyable two weeks; I am very appreciative of the time we had together (Thanks Army). Saying goodbye again was even harder, but I know the next time I see them I will be able to stay home for a lot longer. Hopefully I'll be home before Christmas. Now I have my head down and I am holding on for the rest of this deployment.


Return to Iraq
I have a couple of things I'd like to share about my travels back to Iraq. First off, I'd like to thank the USO at Dallas-Fort Worth airport for making our 5-6 hours of waiting less painful. They took care of about 500 of us soldiers, airmen, marines, and sailors retuning from R&R....and they do this everyday!! They fed us, filled us up with good coffee, sodas, water and fresh sticky buns!! They had free phones and internet....they were showing movies, and they really made the time pass quickly. USO DFW also supports the United Through Reading program. They had a very nice setup which allowed military members the opportunity to read to our children which they record and burn to a DVD and send it to the family....all for free, thanks to the donations of many sponsors. How cool is that? The USO in Dallas-Fort Worth in the B-terminal is one of the best I've EVER come across. What truly great Americans....supporting our troops!! One of the other cool things was the Huggin’ and Kissin’ Grandmas. They were there to send us off in style. They hugged and kissed us and gave us all kinds of snacks & water for the long journey back to Iraq.

So we loaded up on the airplane and flew to Kuwait via Budapest, Hungary. All in all it was 17 hours of flying to get to Kuwait. Kuwait....there's really nothing good to say about Kuwait....it seems to be a big suck hole. I think Kuwait sucks the life out of you. There's nothing to do there except wait for your flight out. Sure there's a PX, Chow hall, various fast foods & Green Bean coffee, a USO lounge and a Gym. Besides the Air Terminal and the tents, that about all there is there. This time I only had to wait about 24 hours before I flew out to Baghdad. I flew to Baghdad on a very comfy C-17 (pic below). After I got back to my FOB, I've been resuming my job and trying to get back into my groove.

When I got back to work, a GeoCaching friend sent me some homemade chocolate-chip cookies and some GeoCaching trackables. Thanks Jodi! Everyone LOVED your cookies!!

One last thing, while I was at home, I stopped at Starbucks to buy a pound of coffee for one of my fellow coffee snobs (We both grind and press coffee each day). I went in and grabbed a pound of Italian Roast Whole bean and while I was checking out the cashier asked if I wanted to have the coffee ground and I politely said no, that I was taking it back to Iraq for a buddy. She then proceeded to donate 5 more 1 pound bags to me and my friends here in my group. Thank you Dawn at the Starbucks in Chula Vista (I-805 & Main in the Wal-Mart Plaza). I will send you some pictures and a letter soon.

As always, I love you K, J & C!! I miss you so much already! To everyone else, thanks for your support!

4 comments:

Elphaba said...

SO Glad you got the chance to enjoy yourself on R and R. We Love Ya!!Keep your chin up, and try to have some fun while you there.:O)Your sis (no not sissy) Little big sister Renee XOXOXO

Elphaba said...

You=your..oops

Darren said...

Ruburp,

Glad to hear that you had a good break - it's been really great to read about the AMAZING generosity and support from the folks here in the US for our troops! Any more news on your next assignment?

dertnad

ea6bflyr said...

Nope, all I know is that we'll be heading to Pensacola, FL next summer for a job at VT-86.