Sunday, March 4, 2007

First Post!

Well, here it is, my first blog post. For those of you that don't know me, let me introduce myself. I am a Naval Officer with 23 years of active duty (12 years prior enlisted). I am an EA-6B NFO by trade, but haven't been in a squadron since 2002.

I was attached to an Admiral's Staff on a Carrier which was about to deploy for 3 months when I was informed that I would be heading to Iraq on a 9-month Individual Augmentation (IA). What does that mean? Well, I'll tell you. I will be assigned to a job somewhere in Iraq to support the ARMY. So, I've named my blog Today's NArmy (Navy's Army) to honor my time in country (or as others have told me: the big SUCK). I left home on February 11th, 2007 and I have completed two of my training stops and I am currently getting the best Army training that the Navy could afford at Fort Jackson, South Carolina with hundreds of other Navy types. The training is called NIACT (Navy IA Combat Training).

The training is basic Army stuff: How to shoot, how to wear your personal protective gear, etc. I've qualified on the 9mm (Expert) and on the M-16 (Sharpshooter?). This coming week we will be shooting some BIG guns....sounds fun. The days are long and I WISH that the military would equip us with comfortable boots. My feet hurt at the end of every day.

I miss my family: K, J & C I love you and think of you all the time!

That's about all for now. Later!

6 comments:

Ken said...

Best of luck to you, Rob. I'll check your blog every day. Best of luck and you'll be back before you know it.

Ron said...

Best of luck, and stay low!

theprez98 said...

Good luck, Rob. Bill and I (both at Penn State NROTC) just returned from our IAs with JCCS-1.

Svend said...

Rob;
Not too sure who to worry more about - you in Iraq or the Iraqis now that you have a passing familiarity with firearms.

Do well and stay safe. Check your 6.
Svend

Casa de Tomas said...

Hey watch out for flying carpets.

Darren said...

Hoo-rah! Semper Fi Marine! Oh, wait. That's for the "Today's MArmy" blog. Sorry.

Keep it safe my friend - Be seeing ya soon.

Der