Thursday, March 15, 2007

In Kuwait

I'm in Kuwait for the next step in my training. We flew out as planned and the flight was long but we were comfortable. The Flight Crew was extremely nice and took care of us during our journey. We landed at around 10PM local and by the time we got to the base, completed our in-processing, and got to our new homes it was around 2:30 am. Our schedules are all upside down. Most of us agreed to unpack and head to breakfast at first light. The hot shower made me feel human again. The chow hall here is very nice. The assortment and quantity of food is amazing and good. We all need to be careful not to over indulge and PT often. After making a call home, I laid down to re-cage my clock and slept until around 1PM local, then did some admin check-in stuff.

With our nice new homes, the bathrooms (Army Latrine; Navy Head) are located about 100 meters from our hooches. We have shower trailers and separate bathrooms. It's funny how the small things amuse people. As I was using one of the nice latrines (running water, flush-able toilets with a sink), I was looking at one of the hanging smell-good air-freshers and noticed that something was lost in translation. See attached picture for some silly humor. The sand in Kuwait is more like fine powder with dirt like qualities. The sky today was filled with sand. Visibility was about 5 or so miles. Very strange to have a bright day with a brown sky.

The base has a lot of basic creature comforts. We have a PX (post exchange), internet cafe, a phone center, a few fast food joints and even a coffee joint.

If you don't know already, I am into Geocaching and there are four geocaches very near to where I am located. I went in search of my first "combat" cache today and was successful with the find. We will start our training soon and I will post when I can.
I miss you all.....

6 comments:

Ken said...

That looks yummy. Does it come with sand, or do you add it when you put it in the latrine? Or do you add water? Hope you're doing alright, Rob!

Elphaba said...

Does the fresher smell like moth balls?

Casa de Tomas said...

Smells like "Teen Spirit"

ea6bflyr said...

The funny thing is that the celophane wrapper is still on it so you can't even smell it.

ea6bflyr said...

Elphaba said...
Does the fresher smell like moth balls?

I wouldn't know what they smell like, I've never gotten that personal with a moth! :) LOL!!

Elphaba said...

When you smell one you'll know. It only takes once.