Monday, March 12, 2007

NIACT Complete


We have graduated.

We finished up our Navy IA Combat training on Friday with a short graduation ceremony and a pizza party organized by a chaplain that was going through the training with us. He's quite a character and a really good guy. We gathered for a class photo with our Drill Sergeants. Our platoon achieved the highest pistol and rifle qual scores, so the Sergeants won the highly coveted Basic Rifle Marksmanship trophy pistols and belt. Spirits were high that we were done with this part of our training. Thursday we fired the BIG GUNS. The one I forgot to mention was the M-2 (MA-Duece -- 50 Cal). Wow, that thing is LOUD. Check out this link to learn more about the M-2.

We were told we'd fly out to Kuwait in Monday, so we had the weekend to goof off. Three friends and I went out in town to enjoy our last weekend of FREEDOM in a nice hotel. Oh the bed was so comfy. Sometimes its the small things that really make a difference. We went out to eat and had some well deserved rest. We went to the movies on Saturday (two of us saw Wild Hogs while the other two saw 300) and did a little book shopping at one of the chain stores.
I received a phone call from my brother and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that he was coming in town to see me. He and his wife picked me and my friends up and took us out to dinner. We had a great time. On Sunday all four of us had watch, so my bro drove us back out to the training center and dropped my friends off. My brother, his wife and I did a little shopping at the PX and then they were off to return home. It was VERY nice to see them and I thanked them for coming to see me before I left.

I also received a call from a friend from Pennsylvania. She was in town and said she'd like to see me. She was nice enough to pick me and my friends up from the base. Did I mention that it is a 60 dollar cab ride to downtown from the training center? She offered and we accepted the invitation to dinner. We ate at a place near five points in Colombia. Five roads diverge to a single location. The eatery was a local joint with delicious food and the company was good. It was really nice to see her and her little ones. We hadn't seen each other since DEC 2002.
I am blessed to have such great family and friends. Thanks for making my lastweekend (for a while) in the states a great one.

Love you all, especially K, J & C!!

No comments: