Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Goodies & Stuff

Goodies:
First, I'd like to give a BIG shout out to SENIOR CHIEF O. He told me he was going to send me some goodies and asked me for my address, so I gave it to him. Low and behold, he sent me this HUGE box of GEEDUNK (Navy term for candy). You see, Senior Chief and I were on our last deployment (JAN-JUL 2006) and we'd always have GEEDUNK at our watchstation. The box itself is a work of ART. Besides that, there was enough candy there to choke a horse. I've shared my GEEDUNK with my co-workers and they have been powering through it. The DARK Chocolate Dove eggs were my downfall. Thanks Senior Chief!

Second, I've like to thank my WIFE. She has sent me a couple of care packages. This last one contained my more EVIL Girl Scout Cookies (Evil because NO ONE can pass them up) and my COFFEE PRESS. Last night I ground up some coffee beans my buddy left me and had an AWESOME Cup of Joe. (A little Navy History: "Cup of Joe" origins: When Josephus Daniels became secretary of the Navy in 1913, he prohibited alcohol aboard all U.S. Navy vessels - making coffee the strongest drink that could be served on board. For that reason, sailors started referring to a mug of strong coffee as "a cup of Joe".) She also sent me the 9th Season of the Simpson's and a beautiful hand-made card. Honey, thanks for all you do here and at home! I sure do miss you!!!

Third, I'd like to thank my Mom. She sent me a care package with Colombian and Costa Rican Coffee....yummm!!! Thanks Mom, it's delicious!!

Stuff:
The mattresses here are almost like box springs....lots of springs and not much cushioning. I got tired of sleeping with the springs in my side so for 17 dollars at the PX, I bought a foam mattress and my bed is now VERY comfortable.

Today, I managed to escape the castle and do a little goofing off (me time). I did a little site seeing at a nearby FOB called Slayer. There they have two sites that all must see. First is the Purfume Palace. This was the place that Saddam kept his concubines (it's the one that looks like a juicer). The other one is the "Victories over America Palace" that Saddam had started building...I guess we know how that one turned out. I also was able to do a little Geocaching. I found my first combat cache near the palace at a place that looks like it straight from the FINSTONES. Funny thing is that the Americans named the street "Flintone Drive." (Pic below) The Flinstone house was built for the kiddies and inclues an elevator and multiple rooms. Talk about a great play fort for the kids.....those priviliged enough to visit this place. I also placed my first combat cache near Al Faw Palace on FOB Victory. Then it was back to work, work, work. That's about all for now.....

3 comments:

Darren said...

Hey Rob,

Finally got a care package into the mail today for ya - sorry it's taken so long. Hope you enjoy it! Ann's mom made some contributions to the package and she has been reading this blog.

Take Care,
Darren

ea6bflyr said...

Sweet...I look forward to your fine home roast! :)

Darren said...

Oh, um - you were expecting some home roast? Sorry, but June loaded up your box with some Charbucks whole beans so I guess it will be in your next care package!

What roast profile do you usually drink? I'll get some greens on order and make up a few bags.

Hope everything is moving along smoothly for you!

Darren