Friday, May 11, 2007

Competition and Blogging

Competition:
The military is full of type 'A' personalities. I know this is not a surprise to all of you, but yes, there are competitions of all sorts to pass the time. Last Friday there was a boxing match on one of the bases in Baghdad to see who was the strongest in the ring. I don't know about you, but I think boxing is pointless. I did box when I went through flight training way back in 1986. I did so because I had to not because I wanted to. We had a match each week to work each of our skills; week one was jabbing, etc. For the first 4 matches I was paired up with someone that was about the same build and we faired well against each other. Two days before the last "all out" match, some sailor rolled into our class and they re-distributed everyone in my weight class. Wouldn't you know it, I was now up against this guy that was 6'3" with an arm-reach of a gorilla. I got the living crap beat out of me. In all fairness I did get ONE GOOD gut shot on him, but that only made him more mad and his hits only came harder. Thank goodness the match only lasted 2 minutes. My instructor told me that I did the best I could considering. Anyway, the idea of two people beating the crap out of each other to prove who is better just doesn't make sense to me. So, it seems in order to pass time soldiers, marines, sailors and airmen come up with all kinds of goofy things. Just the other day I was showing a soldier how to spin a football on the ground. Shortly thereafter it became a competition to see who's ball could spin the longest. Silly games do pass the time.

Blogging:
I read a lot of other blogs of Sailors just like me. (See column to the right labeled "Other NARMY Blogs"). Some of our experiences are very similar and some couldn't be further apart. We all do about the same thing for the Army. I saw this comic called Pearls Before Swine by Stephan Pastis yesterday in the Stars and Stripes and I just had to put it in my blog....it's just too funny. It's a newer comic that is very well written. It's been touted as the Seinfeld of comics. Another day down and another day closer to coming home. To my wife: I hope you enjoy your Mother's Day flowers; I love you. To my kids: I miss you and love you!! To everyone else, thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Elphaba said...

Now that's just too Funny....

ashers said...

A little competition never hurt anyone right? Hey Uncle Rob we miss you and we want you to come home safe. Happy mothers day to Kim!!