Monday, May 7, 2007

Speed bumps, Prison (Part 2), and News

Speed Bumps:
I've told you all before how horrible the roads are in Iraq. I was picking up someone from the military side of Baghdad International Airport and on the way there is a VERY bumpy road with lots of SPEED BUMPS. Now I am not talking about your standard Wal-Mart speed bump, I am talking about big honking speed bumps. Some are made of rubber, some out of asphalt and some are made out of old retired tank tracks laid across the road. These speed bumps are laid out along the VERY bumpy road to control speed. Not as if the bumpy road wasn't bad enough...you have to drive 5-10 miles an hour so you don't lose a kidney. So, there I was behind a 5-ton truck, which is about 10 times larger than the Toyota pickup I was driving. We stopped at a stop sign and right after the stop sign is one of these LARGE speed bumps. I am thankful I waited a little bit because right after the 5-ton clears the speed bump, his BIG GIANT spare tire tumbles off the truck headed for me. OH MY!! were my first thoughts...and then "OH, what a cruel way to die in IRAQ, by the hands of a spare tire." (Not really....but that is funny). No, the tire careened off of the road and landed on the shoulder. I immediately honked my little truck "beep beep" horn and flashed my lights (This was all at night). Well, the truck driver slowed down for about 2 seconds and then started to re-accelerate. Once I was clear of the stop sign/speed bump combo, I pulled up right next to him and told him about his wayward spare tire. It was some Private and I am sure he was thankful because he probably would have had to pay for the lost tire. The rest of the journey was un-eventful.

Prison (Part 2):
I've been running (or as Ron Burgundy would say Jhogging with a soft J) along my prison walls and I finally got a picture to share with you all so you will all see the uncanny resemblance. The only problem is that I have been running in the afternoon and it's starting to get H O T, H O T! Only about 95 degrees and so far it's been a dry heat. I ensure that I am hydrated before each run and by the time I get back to my room, my shirt is soaking wet and the cool air conditioning in my room feels wonderful. Thank you Mr. Stuart Cramer & Mr. Willis Carrier! We will all be forever grateful.

News:
We got most of our news from the AFN Europe Television and Stars and Stripes (Middle-East Edition). They print and distribute the S&S paper with stories from around the globe along with local Iraq war stories about what's going on and who's who in the zoo. My favorite article is called "What's up with that?" On Sundays, we get a separate insert that has 4-pages of educational reading...er...um, I mean comics. :) I really do look forward to Sundays....and Fridays too! Two reasons for Friday: First, it's flight suit Friday. The only day of the week when I can wear my Aviator Jammies and actually wear my NFO wings. I am not allowed to wear any devices other than Rank, Name, Branch, and US Flag on my Army Combat Uniform (ACU). Second reason, is that Friday's are Steak, Lobster, Crab and Shrimp night. The Shrimpies are good and the steak is hit or miss, but then again that's why they invented A-1 steak sauce. That's about all from Baghdad.

The picture to the left is of one of my recent GeoCache finds called "Hero's Cache" near Camp Victory. The bullet holes are real and it's where Sergeant First Class Paul R. Smith, US Army, earned the Medal of Honor in April 2003. Please read this hero's story here. It was truly an HONOR to stand in the shadow of a giant. He is just one of many that have made the ultimate sacrifice for his country. NEVER FORGET THAT FREEDOM IS NOT FREE!

K, J & C, I love, miss and think of you all the time.

2 comments:

Casa de Tomas said...

"WHATS UP WITH THAT?" sounds like something I would say!

Elphaba said...

Wait a minute. You DO say that..Not sounds like...And What a very sad story, Like soo Many other stories. I can only Pray for everyone to return home safely...I would like to know when are we going to teach the country we are in how to fight their own battle and get out of there. They were fighting many years before we come along, and I'm sure many after we are out of there. Seems it is no longer about Terrorism. Its about a war!!!!Iran & Iraq, not America!!!!