Saturday, June 23, 2007

Department Head Results...the Saga continues

Well folks, while working with my detailer, he tells me that one of the guys selected for Special Mission (SM) Department Head declined the job and so they offered it to me. What is a Special Mission Department Head? It's a guy that does NON-OPERATIONAL flying and is more likely to make commander than a NON-Department Head O-4. So as it sits right now, I am headed to Pensacola, Florida next summer to take the SM Department Head job at VT-86. I'll be a flight instructor flying in the aircraft pictured here (T-39 Sabreliner). I am thrilled to have this opportunity to a) Fly again and b) mentor young Student Flight Officers. One of my squadron mates was an instructor in Pensacola and he said the command and the flying was awesome. The other good deal about the whole thing is that I will not be deploying during this tour which equates to more time at home with the family. That's the news for now....time to pack my things.


6 comments:

MOM said...

That must mean your on your way home for some much needed R&r, anc a lot of Love ENJOY!!!!!!!!Love ya MOM

Elphaba said...

Congrads to you if you take the job offered!! Its well earned, and well dissevered. Keep up the great job your doing!!Love ya...See you next MAY..

ashers said...

Congrats!

Svend said...

Rob;
Congratulations on VT-86 and NAS Pensacola!

With your NROTC and soon VT-86 tours you will have made a mark on the NAvy for many years to come.
BZ
Svend

Smudge said...

I don't suppose the detailer lied to you:) Anyhow, make sure you look into the NEW GI bill (post 9-11 version) as I am milking that baby big time. I am willing to bet this makes JPME less of a concern (do the Army one if you really have; they spoon feed you). Did you run into Chunx yet? Ask him about good deals for ECMO's....

Casa de Tomas said...

Looks like we both got new jobs!