Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Department Head Results

Folks,
The results are in from my second screening for Department Head and I was not selected.

What does this mean? In Naval Aviation, you only get two looks for Department Head. After that, you either do "other" flying jobs or find a new profession. I've been in the Navy too long to switch up jobs now. The bottom line is that I won't be heading back to an operational fleet EA-6B flying job.

I am working with my detailer, that's the guy that gets me my next job, to find out what is available and where I can go next.

Am I disappointed? Yes. Just like a guy in the minor leagues trying to make it to the big show. I guess I didn't make the cut.

On a positive note, I can go from here to shore-duty and spend some quality time with my wife and kids. No more deployments for this guy!!!

Is my Naval flying career over? We'll see what is available. If I do not get a flying job, I will have fond memories of flying.

Although flying was a lot of work at times, it was always fun! My favorite picture is the last one on the right. Arabian Gulf 2006...right after the catapult shot from catapult #1 off of the USS Ronald Reagan (CVN-76).

We'll have to see what new adventures I can find and who knows, maybe this NON-SELECT stuff is all for the better. I can tell you this: my days in the Navy are numbered.

To my wife who is always there and supports me through thick and thin: I love and miss you so much....two more weeks until my R&R!!

9 comments:

ashers said...

Sorry to hear about that..I hope you find something you like.

MOM said...

you will do great in what ever you decide to do rob, you are a winner!!!!!!!!!

Casa de Tomas said...

HAHAHA yeah, not like us losers!

ea6bflyr said...

You're not losers...

Elphaba said...

May the star always be with you, And look highly on your next job field you enter. Luck is on your side.

Casa de Tomas said...

Apparently you didnt catch onto my blog address tacomalosers

Darren said...

Rob,

There's a saying in the corporate world I live in: "Those who cannot do, manage." They promote the folks that have the right connections with the right people, not necessarily the best person for the job. In my case I am more valuable to the company as a contributor than as a manager.

I can relate to your disappointment but know that you'll always come out on top because that's the kind of person you are. Enjoy your R&R and your family - you've earned it!!!

Svend said...

Rob,
Sorry to hear the news.

Admin Boards come and go and the results are what they are.

Few things beat being in a squadron and operational flying, but quite frankly, short of being able to compete for command and being able to help more Sailors, the DH tour isn't what it's cracked up to be. It's an ugly tweener world between the CO/XO and the JOPA.

My Command Screen Board ended up with similar results and, while initially dissapointed, it ultimately opend up a great oportunity in NAS Kelfavik which turned out to be the most rewarding tour of my career. Yes - even more rewarding than serving with you on the NROTC staff, albeit just barely.

You have a lot to offer to the Navy, and vice versa, for the remainder of your naval career. You are the type of officer I'd seek out to lead Sailors and I'd love for you to continue to do just that.

Check your 6. Enjoy R&R. Best regards to your brood.
Svend

Ken said...

Hey Robbie O. Sorry I haven't posted in a bit. When I lost my HD I lost a lot of bookmarks and forgot to put yours back on top. There should be a little something waiting for you at home. Sorry about the non-select, but you know it's going to make it easier for you to pull the eject handle next year.