Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Mustache Man & Little Things

I've grown a mustache over the last two weeks. Not bad, huh? I don't know what it about facial hair, but guys tend to grow 'staches while they are deployed. My wife HATES it and hopes I'll have it shaved off by the time I get home for leave (R&R). We'll see. Can you tell I have red hair?? Yes, it's cheesy, but it's my little science project while I am over here. If you ask any man, it is easier to shave everyday than to keep your facial hair groomed. Mustaches are high maintenance. Over here, it's something different than the day-to-day grind or groundhog day.

The other day I was going to our MWR to pick up a DVD for a friend when I noticed all the Local Nationals that worked there standing outside and fishing. They weren't catching anything. They were attracting little turtles with popcorn. They were just passing the time and having fun. Sometimes it's the little things that make a difference. I stopped and talked with them for a little while. Most of them speak some sort of English and it's pretty easy to talk with them about various things. I even picked up a few things about the place I work. We have this statue near our DFAC that is of a lady holding a harp type instrument. She's a handsome woman and I learned that the statue is in honor of the first person to bring music to Iraq (Mesopotamia) over 4000 years ago. Maybe Lilith the Mother of musical worship?? Pretty cool, huh?

Auntie EM, thanks for the box of goodies. We have enjoyed the snacks and flags and whatnot. THANK YOU.

To my loved ones, I love you all. Thanks for your unwaivering support.

2 comments:

Svend said...

"Yes, it's cheesy ..."

Rob
Your powers of understatement are overwhelming.
Svend

ea6bflyr said...

Wife here--we'll see if you'll have a ride home :)