Sunday, August 5, 2007

Another Saturday!

I would have posted more this week but I've been busy and my Internet has been down. Oh, well. I finally got a picture of the statue Lilith, the first person to bring music to Iraq over 4,000 years ago. The statue is in a small pond/fountain, but it hasn't been used as a fountain in quite a while.

Another Flight Suit Friday down and I should have about 19 more remaining. One of my buddies is heading home shortly and I am very excited for him. You see his Individual Augmentation (IA) was only 6-months long whereas mine is 9-months. I got to take R&R leave while he did not. But all the same, I'd be happy to skip the R&R leave and go home after only 6-months in this place. Normal NAVY deployments are only 6-months and we usually get to visit great places during our journey. Last year on the USS Ronald Reagan we went to Brisbane Australia, Singapore, Dubai United Arab Emrites, Kuala Lumpur Maylasia, Hong Kong and Hawaii. Here we don't get to goto any different places, except Iraq, although the historic culture here is interesting.

I've been here in Iraq now for more than half of my 9-month deployment and I am always learning new things. Just the other day, one of the guys I work with told me about a PX (Army Exchange) that is much closer than the large PX on Camp Liberty. It's located on Camp Striker and it only takes about 10 minutes to get there from my FOB...it used to take me 30 minutes to get to the Big PX. I couldn't believe he kept it a secret all this time. Not that I visit the PX all that often, but being able to make a quick trip is easier than traveling all the way across the base.

That's about all for now from Iraq. Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

Elphaba said...

That is a very beautiful statue. So glad it was made. And glad you got to see it, and well as many of the treasures in Iraq, some of those people are very nice and wish to help people see their way of life, but you get to see some of those treasures that most do not ever see.

Svend said...

So that's the story behind Lilith Fair.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say thanks for yours and other blogs. I'm on my way out as a EWO and it's been helpfull reading your guys comments.
See you in a few weeks.
JR LT USN

ea6bflyr said...

JR, Welcome to the mix.