Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Getting Ready

My relief showed up yesterday and is going through some specific in-theater training before I pick him up on Saturday.  My turnover for my new job is complete and I still have some hands on learning to do in order to become proficient at the job.  It looks like I'll be moving over there either Wednesday or Thursday after I train up my relief. Things are still clipping along here and I'm in good spirits.

Auntie Em, I saw the cat today o the base...he is living near our empty lake and when I saw him he was chasing a rabbit.  He is but a shadow of his former self.  He's all grown up and I believe he is a "WILD" cat living off the land.  I called for him, but when he saw me, he ran off.  At least it's good to know he's still alive and doing well. :)

As I've said in my previous posts, I do not have my own vehicle and I have to beg, borrow or steal a vehicle to get around.  When I am driving around and I see someone walking, I always stop and offer a ride.  Most of the Army soldiers I pick up assume I am an Army Major. I usually ask what they do for the Army and they reply with some random letter and numbers ("I'm an 11B") so I have to tell them that I am in the Navy and I really don't understand their Military Occupation Specialties (MOS).  So they will tell me what they actually do (11B is an Infantryman).  It's neat being able to learn what most of these kids do....from driving trucks, repairing tanks to shooting.  I will continue to give rides to walking soldiers as long as I have a set of wheel to borrow.  I have another story, but I'll save that for another entry.

By the way, I've changed my blog so that ANYONE can post a comment.  Please keep it tasteful and I have the right to delete wayward comments.  That's all for now from Baghdad.  Thanks for checking on me!!

2 comments:

Elphaba said...

So glad your in great spirits, Always nice to hear to good deeds one does for others. Everyone can use a good deed for them once in a while. Glad to hear the cat is still around and able to get food for itself (don't know if its a girl or boy cat or I just don't remember).I do love hearing all the good news. We love ya!!
P.S. Hope your daughter eye is healing nicely, and tell her "you go girl" :O)Always in my prayer's. Bright Blessings to you.

Svend said...

Blessed relief ... soon enough it will be your relief coming aboard!

Keep pressing